LATEST: Atlantic Region Storm Recovery

JULY 10 2:00 P.M. CT

As previously suggested, Suddenlink customers who have power but are still without our services, please call our customer care center at 800-972-5757. Representatives at this number are in the best position to assist you.

While most Suddenlink areas impacted by the string of storms are returning to a business-as-usual state, restoration efforts continue in pockets of areas where commercial power is still out. Suddenlink repair teams this morning reported they’ve restored service to 94 percent of customers.

As of 11:30 p.m. CT today, Appalachian Power was still working on power outages in 16 counties, with the largest number of customers out in Kanawha (6,262), Jackson (2,883), Fayette (2,835) and Raleigh (2,211) counties. FirstEnergy’s MonPower has fewer than 2,000 customers out, with more than half of them in Calhoun, Greenbrier, Nicholas, Ritchie and Summers counties.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work diligently to restore services for all customers.

JULY 9, 2:35 P.M. CT

Another severe thunderstorm in Kanawah County yesterday temporarily stalled Suddenlink repair team’s efforts to restore service to customers there. As of noon CT today, nearly 90 percent of customers have had their services restored, about the same percentage at this time yesterday.

Before yesterday’s storm, residents of Kanawha County without commercial power had been reduced to about. 5,000. After the storm, which downed more trees and power lines, the number rose to 30,000.

Our crews will continue to work diligently to help make sure our services are available to customers as soon as possible after commercial power is restored.

As a reminder, while commercial power has been restored to many neighborhoods, lines running from our network to individual homes may have been damaged. If you have power but are without Suddenlink services, please contact our customer care center at 800-972-5757.

To our customers in the affected areas, thank you again for your patience.

JULY 8, 2:00 P.M. CT

Working through the weekend, Suddenlink repair teams this morning reported they’ve restored service to 90 percent of customers in the West Virginia, Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky areas affected by the storms June 29 and July 5.Crews continue to work closely with power-company officials, moving in to make repairs when given the go-ahead.

While commercial power has been restored to many neighborhoods, lines running from our network to individual homes may have been damaged. If you have power but are without Suddenlink services, please contact our customer care center at 800-972-5757.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work diligently to get everyone back up and running.

JULY 6, 11:45 A.M. CTSuddenlink repair teams continue to make progress in their restoration efforts. As of 11 a.m. this morning, 83 percent of customers were receiving service in the storm-impacted areas of West Virginia, Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky. Recovery efforts suffered slightly after storms Thursday created additional outages.

Crews will continue their work in close coordination with power-company officials.

Yesterday, we announced that 12 Suddenlink offices throughout our service areas in West Virginia and eastern Kentucky are temporarily providing free Wi-Fi hot spots during the crisis. In the Charleston area, free Wi-Fi hot spots are available at Suddenlink stores in Charleston Town Center, Shrewsbury and Scott Depot. These locations will allow customers to keep track of the latest updates from the power company, monitor weather conditions, and visit their favorite Internet sites until home service is restored.

Locations for the free Wi-Fi hot spots:

Kentucky
Prestonburg, 138 Collins Circle

West Virginia
Beckley, 115 Dye Dr.
Buckhannon, 68 Fifth St.
Charleston, 1003 Town Center
Elkins, 1513 Harrison Ave, Suite C
Mt. Gay, 417 Mud Fork Road
New Martinsville, 247 North State Route 2
Parkersburg, 1737 East Seventh St.
Pt. Pleasant, 1307 Viand St.
Princeton, 1273 Stafford Dr.
Scott Depot, 4038 Teays Valley Road
Shrewsbury, 130 Upton St.

JULY 5, 1:45 P.M. CT

Working through the holiday, Suddenlink repair teams have made further progress in their restoration efforts. As of mid-day today, nearly 80 percent of customers were receiving service in the storm-impacted areas of West Virginia, Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky.

Note that, as of 12:20 p.m. ET today, a new storm struck the Charleston area, which may impact recovery efforts there. Forecasters said the storm was pushing into Beckley and the southeastern part of the state, with winds at 40 to 60 miles per hour.

JULY 3, 11:30 A.M. CT

Suddenlink repair crews continue to make progress in restoring service after Friday’s storms in West Virginia and surrounding states, working as quickly as they’re cleared to do so by power-company officials.

As of mid-day today, nearly two-thirds (63 percent) of customers affected by the storms were receiving service. While Suddenlink’s central technical facilities have continued to operate, a combination of downed lines and power outages affect the percentage of customers who can actually use their service.

American Electric Power (AEP) is reporting that 512,710 customers are still without power in West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky. FirstEnergy is reporting 125,967 customers still without power in West Virginia.

We will provide further updates later this week.

JULY 2, 2:10 P.M. CT

Suddenlink repair crews are making steady progress in restoring service after Friday’s storms, working as quickly as they’re cleared to do so by power-company officials.

As reported Saturday, Suddenlink’s central technical facilities continue to operate, but a combination of downed lines and power outages affect the percentage of customers who can actually use their service. Nearly half were able to do so as of mid-day today in the affected areas of West Virginia, Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky.

American Electric Power (AEP) is reporting that 712,822 customers are still without power in West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky. FirstEnergy is reporting 189,900 customers still without power in West Virginia.

We will provide further updates as they become available.

Comments

1. Brian says

I appreciate the updates on programming but you still have thousands of customers without services in WV.

• Pete says

Thanks for your comment. Please know our crews — backed up by additional resources from contractors and other Suddenlink areas — are working as quickly and safely as possible to restore service to those who don’t have it. We will not rest until that work is completed.

2. Brian says

I think this 83% number is bull****. At best it’s some faulty math. Guess my neighborhood in the middle of charleston must be part of the 17%.

• Mike says

I’m in the Knollwood area and our suddenlink has been out since last Friday…I would have thought they would have it on by now since we have had power since Sunday?

• Pete says

Scattered issues can still affect individual neighborhoods or homes, even after commercial power is restored. If you’re willing to email me (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) the name and address on the account, I’ll ask my local colleagues to investigate.

3. Brian says

Any more updates? This is the only place suddenlink offers anything. Cust service has nothing. No idea of what is wrong or when (if ever) it will be fixed.

4. Cheryl says

We had tv/Internet for a few hours this morning. As of now we have no signal at all. I’m in the Wolf Pen/Rich Fork area of Sissonville. We haven’t seen a Suddenlink worker for days. Would be Nice to have an update to see when you will be working in my area.

• Pete says

I’m not sure what issue caused the signal to stop working, but there may have been some follow-up damage to the line running from our network to your home. Please contact our customer care center at 800-972-5757 and ask them to send someone to investigate. That will be the quickest, surest way to evaluate the situation and help restore your service. Thank for writing.

• Mark says

I’ve had difficulty getting through to the customer care center & we have had power for several days and still no internet service. I also have no access to my email account.

I can’t sit on hold waiting for a representative because my cell phone is of the pre-paid variety. What can I do?

• Pete says

Email me (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) the name and street address on the account and I’ll escalate your issues to the attention of senior managers in your area.

• Mark says

This is a follow-up. Internet was restored early on 7/11. Thanks go out to the techs for restoring service.

5. Diana says

I know you guys are working. It’s frustrating for us all. I did try calling a couple of times and all I keep getting is the same recording on how service will be interrupted as all service is being repaired with the inability of estimated repair times. I understand that but I would like to make sure mine is off because of the area and not because of my individual address issues. Unfortunately you guys can’t be everywhere and you don’t have the ability to work 24/7 without a break. I do appreciate the hard work and you do deserve to sit and take your lunch or have a break. I don’t however appreciate customer service at this point.

• Pete says

Thanks for your understanding. If you’ll email me (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) the name and address on the account, I’ll escalate to the attention of senior managers for your area.

6. Lester Thomas says

Props to Pete. I emailed him yesterday and Suddenlink techs came to my subdivision today and got us back online. They came to my house to make sure everything was up and running.

7. Toni Ellis says

I posted a comment earlier but I do not see it on this thread. All I want is service or a definite answer as to when I may get service. The Call Center is no help, even if you have the patience and time to hold to actually speak to a human.

• Pete says

Toni — I forwarded your email on to local managers. I thought they had found a “broken feeder” and repaired it, but maybe I misunderstood. I’ll ask them to go back and determine why service is still not working.

8. Brian says

I posted a comment earlier too. In it I alluded to a credit. Was it “moderated” away?

• Pete says

Per the policy included in the right margin, we may not publish all comments, but we do try to publish a representative cross sampling of what you and others have posted. We will definitely provide appropriate credits.

9. J Stanley says

What’s the point in posting the phone number when no calls will go through. I have tried calling over and over but it never rings. It just disconnects. I have emailed via the web page twice and received no response. My neighbors have cable and internet but I still don’t. Why can’t I get anyone to answer me? Your envelopes say you’re committed to better service. I guess that doesn’t include customer service.

• Pete says

Email me (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) the name and address on the account and I’ll escalate the problem to the attention of senior managers for your area.